Iphone 5 before the Iphone 5
September 12th is tomorrow and the long awaited Iphone 5 is set to be announced. For all of the iphone 4 and 4s users, the wait has been far too long and the time to get your new handheld crack is here. Here are a few rumors that have been circulating throughout the internet for the past few months to wet your whistles until the official announcement comes tomorrow. I must stress the facts that these are just rumors and we won’t know the actual specs of the phone until Wednesday at 10am PST.
Price 16GB: $200; 32GB: $300; 64GB: $400
- A5 Processor: A newer and faster processor could be included with the new Iphone which will possibly out perform its android and quad core competitors.
- LTE Connectivity: With every carrier expanding or beginning to expand their lightening fast LTE networks, it would be a no brainer for apple to include this new technology in their flagship good.
- Bigger Screen, New Aspect Ratio: Can we say long overdue. The 3.5 inch display was dead before the new decade hit, and to possibly have the screen bumped up to 4 inches is a move in the right direction for the Iphone.
- In-Cell Touch Panels: To dumb this technology down, think of your touchscreen cell phone as a three layer screen. The first being the digitizer or the glass which you touch, the second is an additional layer to help in protecting the lcd panel, and the third is the lcd panel. The new Iphone will be eliminating a panel which would make the touchscreen much more effective.
- Crack-Proof Glass: This is a hard sell for me. If it’s glass, it will scratch and ultimately break or crack. But with a layer of the touchscreen panel eliminated, there may be some validity to this rumor.
- Metal Back: This is definitely an upgrade from the previous glass backing of the Iphone 4 and 4s.
- Redesigned Speaker Grills: This is rumored to make the speakers louder and more crisp, but also shrinking the dock connectors.
- Migrated FaceTime Camera: Not a big deal, but the face time camera has been moved to above the ear speaker to make room for other necessary components.
- Audio Sharing Network: If this is true, this may be the most exciting feature of the new Iphone. This technology effectively makes your Iphone a voice recorder, canceling out background noise creating crisp and clear audio for podcasting or taking notes during a lecture.
- New Earphone Jack Location (Bottom of Phone): I personally hate headphone jacks at the bottom of phones, but I think it is more a psychological thing than a real issue.
- New Camera Opening: I’m not quite sure what the new design for the camera opening is for, but rumors suggest that it is for an external microphone for clearer audio when recording video.
- Multiplayer Gaming: With mobile gaming at an all time high, a feature that I have yet to see on any phone is a multiplayer gaming system where you and your friend could possibly race in Need for Speed, head to head on your respective phones.
- The Photographer’s Timer: Simply stated, you could possibly set the timer to get a family photo without holding the phone and being excluded from the photo.
- Micro SIM Connector: This rumored new feature seems to have been created to protect your SIM card.
- Smaller Dock Connector: If this rumor is true and I am understanding it correctly, the connector will be slimmed down from 30 pins to 19 pins which means you will be looking for new accessories for your iphone unless there will be some sort of adapter available. The positive about this could be that your connections and data transfers could be much faster.
- Possibly no Siri: Not sure if it’s true or not, but I don’t really know how many people with Siri actually used it. If it is replaced with a more useful or entertaining tool then i’m sure she will soon be forgotten.
Remember to take these rumors with a grain of salt, but with it being this late in the game, this information should be pretty close to what will be announced Wednesday. Stay tuned for coverage on the official Iphone release on the 12th.